Sunday, January 15, 2012
What is a miracle?
From the Free Dictionary:
1. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) an event that is contrary to the established laws of nature and attributed to a supernatural cause
2. any amazing or wonderful event
3. a person or thing that is a marvellous example of something the bridge was a miracle of engineering
4. (Performing Arts / Theatre) short for miracle play
5. (modifier) being or seeming a miracle a miracle cure
[from Latin mīrāculum, from mīrārī to wonder at]
miracle - From Latin miraculum, "object of wonder"; its ultimate root meant "to smile upon."
See also related terms for smile.
I find it interesting that in the back of the King James Bible a Miracle should be defined as:
'an event which exceeds the known laws of nature and science.
Usually an Act of God done through Human Agents.'